As a Teaching Institution, you are required to write a "Welcome Letter" containing the information a student needs to take a course at your school.
The "Welcome Letter" content is not a full welcome letter as is often sent to students by an institution. Rather, Acadeum's "Welcome Letter" is a short overview of the logistical information needed to successfully start a course with your institution. This Welcome Letter content is provided to students within three Acadeum email communications--scroll down for more information!
What information is required on the Welcome Letter?
All welcome letters are required to contain the following information first:
- Login information or system access is provided: How many days prior to the start of class or after enrollment acceptance will the student be able to access your student portal and/or LMS?
- You will be able to access your course: How many days prior to the start of class will the student be able to access their course in your LMS? This information may be waived if it is the same as above.
- You will receive your login information: How will the student receive this information? If it is sent to them by email, what is the exact email address from which it will be sent?
- If you have not received your login information or have issues logging in, contact: What is the best contact (and contact information) if the student has concerns/issues with logging in?
We also highly recommend you include the following information:
- Link to the LMS
- Link to the LMS FAQ page
- Information around orientation/simulation for the online courses
- Participation requirements
- Attendance Policy
- Information about how to order textbooks (if applicable)
- Grading policy
- Any other key contacts for student needs at university (student success, IT, etc.)
- ADA Accommodations process
- Links to public site where TITLE VI and TITLE IX is posted
- Any other steps required for Acadeum students (forms to be filled, etc.)
When possible, we advise that you create links to your own school's resource pages for any of the bullet points listed above. This allows you to make changes to your policies, while keeping your Acadeum "Welcome Letter" up to date.
Where can I see my institution's current Welcome Letter content?
Current Welcome Letter content is available on every teaching institution's institutional profile--including yours! Simply click this link and search for your institution's name.
How do I submit or make changes to our Welcome Letter?
Please download and fill out the template linked below. Submit it in Microsoft Word (or similar) format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What fields are auto populated?
The following items do not need to be included in your Welcome Letter, as these will be included in the Acadeum email communications:
- Course Code and Title
- Course start date
- Course end date
- Drop Date
- Teaching Student Contact information
- Required text
When is the Welcome Letter information sent to the students?
The "Welcome Letter" content is sent to Acadeum students in three email communications:
1. "Your enrollment request has been accepted"
Sent to the student when the Teaching Institution accepts an enrollment.
2. "Acadeum Online Course Starts Next Week"
Sent to the student seven days before the start of their course
3. "Acadeum Online Course Starts Today"
Sent to the student on the start date of their course
An example of the "Acadeum Online Course Starts Today" email communication: