As a Teaching Institution, you are required to write a "Welcome Letter" containing the information a student needs to take a course at your school.
The "Welcome Letter" content is not a full welcome letter as is often sent to students by an institution. Rather, Acadeum's "Welcome Letter" is a plain-text overview of the logistical information needed to successfully start a course with your institution. This Welcome Letter content is provided to students within three Acadeum email communications--scroll down for more information!
What information is required on the Welcome Letter?
All welcome letters are required to contain the following information first:
- Login information or system access is provided: <insert the amount of days prior to class or after enrollment acceptance the student should be able to gain access>
- You will be able to access your course: <insert how many days prior to start of class that they will be able to access the course in your LMS; can be removed if the same time as the above point>
- You will receive your login information: <insert how they will get this information; if by email include the exact email address it will be sent from>
- If you have not received your login information or have issues logging in, contact: <insert the best contact (and contact information) for the student to reach out to concerning logging in at your school>
We also highly recommend you include the following information:
- Link to the LMS
- Link to the LMS FAQ page
- Information around orientation/simulation for the online courses
- Participation requirements
- Attendance Policy
- Information about how to order textbooks (if applicable)
- Grading policy
- Any other key contacts for student needs at university (student success, IT, etc.)
- ADA Accommodations process
- Links to public site where TITLE VI and TITLE IX is posted
- Any other steps required for Acadeum students (forms to be filled, etc.)
When possible, we advise that you create links to your own school's resource pages for any of the bullet points listed above. This allows you to make changes to your policies, while keeping your Acadeum "Welcome Letter" up to date.
How do I submit or make changes to our Welcome Letter?
Please download and fill out the template linked below. Submit it in Microsoft Word (or similar) format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need a copy of your existing Welcome Letter, please email email@example.com, and they will be happy to provide this.
What fields are auto populated?
The following items do not need to be included in your Welcome Letter, as these will be included in the Acadeum email communications:
- Course Code and Title
- Course start date
- Course end date
- Drop Date
- Teaching Student Contact information
- Required text
When is the Welcome Letter information sent to the students?
The "Welcome Letter" content is sent to Acadeum students in three email communications:
1. "Your enrollment request has been accepted"
Sent to the student when the Teaching Institution accepts an enrollment.
2. "Acadeum Online Course Starts Next Week"
Sent to the student seven days before the start of their course
3. "Acadeum Online Course Starts Today"
Sent to the student on the start date of their course
An example of the "Acadeum Online Course Starts Today" email communication: